Tuesday, October 30, 2012

There Goes Sandy

Two-Tone tree outside my window
So, with the weekend came the so-called Frankenstorm known as Sandy. With the impending storm on it's way I made sure the cabinets held two gallons of spare water, and the bathtub was filled as soon as the roomies finished showering. I can't say that all of this was a waste, since not even the amazingly accurate weatherman can predict exactly where a storm will land. Fortunately for us, the storm seemed to have overlooked us in terms of rushing rivers and over ten inches of snow. The downside is others are still living with that reality, so my prayers (and hopefully yours as well) are with those families at this time.

This five story tree (pictured on the left) was bent sideways by the wind last night. It is truly extraordinary to see the pure power of nature, and yet still be able to sit cuddled in safety. The full wrath of Sandy may not have hit my neighborhood, but there was certainly a mighty storm blowing through. Our road resembled a small river while the winds took their toll. The amazing thing is I never lost power, and the lights only flickered a few times throughout the evening. Some may say it has to do with the underground power lines, or the fact that the storm went right over our heads and headed for the North. But, regardless of what others say, I'm calling my safety a gift of my Lord, and I'm counting my blessings.

This morning I spoke with my dad on the phone, and when I told him the storm seemed to be on it's way out he proclaimed it was picture time. And although the warmth of my bed still called to me, I eventually showered, checked my cameras battery life, and headed outside. Although there wasn't a lot to photograph, and the brisk wind kept me close to home, I'm glad I did. As is my M.O., I stuck primarily to the leaves, trees, and of course the drenched sidewalk. No matter what angle you take, the world outside my front door is certainly drenched.

Perfect Fall Mix

So, I have three or four posts that I started and saved, but never got around to posting. I suppose the insanity of classwork and schoolwork and portfolio work, not to mention tangle time and sightseeing leaves much to be desired on my poor little blog. So, as a recap; the last few weeks have been busy, and yet amazing. 

Lockheed Blackbird Wing Logo
A few weekends ago I went to visit the Air and Space Museum part II. Also known as the Air and Space Museum: Udvar-Hazy Center.They say it's practically the overflow room for the "real" Air and Space, but I don't believe them; not one bit. The Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC that everyone knows is located on the Mall; right where everyone thinks it ought to be. The missing fact here is the large airplane hanger hiding out in Virginia far surpasses it's better-known sibling. Like most good tourists I went to "ooo" and "ahh" at the Air and Space Museum, but then more recently spent a much longer time heading down to the huge hanger in Virginia. At this location I got to see huge quantities of real aircraft, up close and personal. Of course, I will forever say that the primary treasure is the Lockheed Blackbird. I think that many others would agree with this point, but that isn't to say it's the only amazing hunk of metal in the hanger. Although I would probably still have taken the trip even if it was.


As you can see on the left, this was no little hanger filled with tinker toys. And this photograph is only one portion of the full hanger. I was constantly in awe of just how big (or how small!) these aircraft are. They span over decades, back to some early models that look as if the Wright brothers built them in their backyard. However, the really neat thing is to know that each and every one has lifted off, and come down safely, bringing humans (quite literally) to new heights. Of course, there can't be an air and space museum without both air AND space. And in this field, this hanger certainly delivered. The Space side was certainly a smaller room, however it still packed a pretty good punch. 

The main exhibit there was the Enterprise. This huge space shuttle (pictured on the left) had a pretty unique story to go with it. The obvious story is the knowledge that it took men to space, but the other neat story is that to get to this hanger, it just hitched a ride on another aircraft. What a sight that must have been too see!
Another section that blew me away in the space portion was the sheer size of the missals. Some reached from floor to ceiling in a huge airplane hanger, others were short but very fat. I couldn't even imagine having the audacity to drop one of those on my enemies, regardless of the waging wars.
The Lil' Stinker
This ones apparently named after my Dad ;) 

That's all for tonight. I should be able to keep my blog a little bit more current now that it's up and running again. So there shall be more coming soon :)


1 comment: